Author Topic: Emergency Kit  (Read 2572 times)

catlady1110

• View Profile
Emergency Kit
« on: September 12, 2011, 01:45:54 PM »
I am about 95% finished with getting my family's emergency kit set up, other than getting some non perishable foods in there that would be easy to eat without electricity, etc.  Now I am trying to decide the best place to keep it so that it would be easily accessible in an emergency situation.  We live in a mobile home, right now I am keeping it on top of my washing machine which I could leave it there with no problem but I just wondered where others may keep theirs.  I have even considered in the back of my van, but with canned foods and medications in it that would not be a good place for it. 

Any suggestions?
Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action.- Mother Teresa

Brandon Cowz

• View Profile
Re: Emergency Kit
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 02:48:30 PM »
I keep mine in a spare bedroom.  I have a large ALICE pack (military backpack) with enough stuff that I could live pretty well indefinately with what I have in there.  I have snares and fishing equipment for catching food.  A meat processing kit with knives, skinners, bone saw, etc.  I have a pretty good assortment of non-perishable food, a combat tent that can handle just about any weather Indiana can throw at it.  I have quire an assortment of emergency supplies.  The only problem is that the darn thing weighs about 80 pounds.  I'll have to travel 1/2 block at a time before I stop to rest.
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’  But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you..."  -  Jesus Christ

Aunt Granny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 09:03:27 PM »
Right now, my kit is a severe weather preparedness kit, which I keep in the basement.  I hope to be down there with it, if a tornado or severe storm hits.  I have a list of stuff that is supposed to be in it, but some of the items have not made it down there as of yet.  For now,  what I'm getting ready for is something like a temporary power outage, and interruption of the water supply and sewage system.  I have a few other things that would be needed for long-term survival, but not nearly enough.

Brandon Cowz

• View Profile
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’  But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you..."  -  Jesus Christ

catlady1110

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 07:30:26 AM »
I have some bottles of drops that you can add to water to make it safe for drinking but I have been wanting to get this water purifier that is the size of an ink pen.  I have seen them on tv and on ebay I just have not gotten around to getting one yet.
Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action.- Mother Teresa

noneofyourbeezwax

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 01:18:28 AM »
My main focus is having a lot of water for my family.  We buy a lot of cases of water bottles when we go to Walmart and have about 20 gallons saved in the basement. 

I am wondering what I need to save other than water.  I bought big can of powdered milk.  I have batteries and flashlights.  I have a ton of canned foods.  Let me know what else we need. Thanks!

catlady1110

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 09:30:22 AM »
http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/index.html

This is where I got the information for most of what is in our kit.